Amitabh Bachchan is the biggest superstar of Bollywood. His stature, his baritone voice and his impeccable screen presence make him the legend that he is. He started out his career as a solo hero and gave some of the biggest hits which were – Muqaddar Ka Sikander, Kasme Vaade, Don and Trishul. Now, Amitabh Bachchan is has transformed to do bigger and better roles. His films have a certain value and always hold the attention of the audience. He are some lesser known facts about the actor.
Amitabh Bachchan is ambidextrous, which means he can write with both his hands.
Amitabh Bachchan was born in an influential family. His father, Harivansh Rai Bachchan, was initially going to name Amitabh as Inquilaab (Revolution). However, he went on to choose the name Amitabh, which means unending brilliance. His real surname is Srivastava, whereas the pen name was Bachchan which they later used as their family name.
20. During his early days in the film industry, Amitabh Bachchan was a struggling actor. And it was then that he spent most of his time at the Marine Drive, Mumbai.
19. He is the first Asian actor and the first Indian actor to have a wax model displayed at Madame Tussaud’s in London.
18. Mr. Bachchan is very fond of collecting pens. He has his unique pen collection. He also owns several cars. Sources say that he owns close to 11 high-end luxury cars.
17. The 73-year-old star made his first onscreen appearance as a poet. He starred opposite Utpal Dutt, A K Hangal and Anwar Ali. Directed by Khwaja Ahmad Abbas, and released in 1969, the film told the tale of seven Indians, who aim at liberating Goa from rule of the Portuguese.
16. India’s most celebrated star once had a struggling start in his career. The actor had 12 consecutive flops before his got his first big break in the film Zanjeer.
15. It is often reported in the media that Amitabh Bachchan was the first choice for Mr. India. He was supposed to play the lead role instead of Anil Kapoor. The film made Anil Kapoor an overnight sensation. However according to reports in the media, it is mentioned that Amitabh Bachchan was approached to play the lead role. It mentioned that the film was started by Pramod Chakravorty and writer Javed Akthar was a part of it. However, he also mentioned that things didn’t take off.
14. Would you believe that Smita Patil had a bad dream about Amitabh Bachchan before his injury on the sets of Coolie.
13. In an interview, Amitabh Bachchan revealed that actress Smita Patil had nightmare about him sometime before he met with an almost fatal accident on the sets of 1983 hit film Coolie.
12. The 73-year-old actor suffered major accident while shooting for director Manmohan Desai’s Coolie. The shoot of the film took place in Bangalore. The incident took him several months to recover. He shared this incident on the 60th birth anniversary of Smita Patil. He said he was in Bangalore shooting for Coolie when around 2 am he received call in his hotel room. Where the receptionist mentioned that Smita Patel was on the call. It shocked him as they never spoke that late into the night, at such an odd hour. Smita then mentioned about her bad dream, and wanted to ensure if everything was alright, and Big B stated that he was indeed film. However, the terrible accident took place the next day. Talk about bad luck!
11. Apart from films Amitabh Bachchan also supports important issues. The Megastar accepted Maharashtra government’s invitation to become a brand ambassador for its project – Tiger Conservation projects, He sent a letter to the state government today that the initiative has helped him know so much about the importance of tiger and about the agenda of the campaign. So the next time you watch the ad, you know who has lent his voice for it.
10. Mumbai is a city that never sleep. But this bustling city came to a halt during the monsoon. The heavy rains caused water-logging, which disrupted the transport services in the city. This left the people of Mumbai stranded, as they couldn’t commit. But it wasn’t just the common man who was affected. Even celebrities felt the pinch. Big B’s huge mansion faced problems due to the rain. Amitabh Bachchan’s house ‘Prateeksha’ faced water-logging problems. The entire stretch of road outside his Juhu bungalow was so badly flooded that the water levels reached up to the waist.
9. Amitabh Bachchan’s favorite onscreen name is Vijay. He has appeared in over 20 movies with this onscreen name. His second most used name is Amit.
8. The veteran actor is said to have a very sharp memory so much so that he never forgets birthdays or special events. He makes it a point his loved ones every year, even if it’s on Twitter.
7. Apart from being a superb actor, Big B is also a man with a big heart. It is said that he didn’t charge any money for the campaign of Gujarat Tourism, for which he was the brand ambassador.
6. One of the wealthiest actors, Amitabh Bachchan’s first pay check for a mere amount of 300 rupees.
5. Did you know that actor Anil Kapoor was considering to quit films but was advised not to by Amitabh Bachchan? The two actors worked together in Armaan. It was there that Anil discussed this with Armaan. However, Mr. Bachchan advised him not to do so as it would be a mistake since he regrets to have taken that decision. And turns out that Anil Kapoor indeed took the advice of Mr. Bachchan.
4. Amitabh Bachchan took a short break from films to get into politics. His stint in politics was short.
3. Amitabh Bachchan is one of the Indian actors to have received an honor from Egypt. He received the Honorary Doctorate from the Egyptian Academy of Arts.
2. If Big B likes an actor’s performance he sends him hand-written notes. And the actors’ treasure receiving them from this legendary actor.
1. If you’re active on social media, then you would know that Amitabh Bachchan is very tech savvy, and he is quite popular on social media. With 22.5 million followers making him the most followed Indian celeb on Twitter.