Looking for a perfect getaway with family and friends? Or seeking a nature path to dwell into in solace? Well, we might present you with a list of places that needs to be on every traveler’s checklist? Don’t believe us? Read along for the ‘Top 10 Zoos in India’ and let yourself breakaway into the wild!
Zoo presents one of the best options for expedition and travelling. You get to indulge yourself in the flora and fauna world in close intimacy and gain invaluable insights all along. The bio-diversity, the stillness of the green zoological garden and the animals securely habituated in the wildlife sanctuary are definitely worth a watch. And who wouldn’t love to have a trip to these famous zoos of India.
Well, the buck just doesn’t stop there. You can have your kids rejoice in the wilderness of the zoo or let your family trip down close to nature. A definitive memory of a lifetime. And ah, if you’ve been thinking of giving these places a quick visit, our list shall provide with you options you’ve never heard or read before. It’s why we came up with the 10 Best Zoos in India for today.
Let’s dwell deep into India’s zoological mélange down here. Shall we?
10) Darjeeling Zoo
- Located on the slopes of the mountain range, Jawahar Parbhat, Darjeeling Zoo is a famed attraction of the city and the state.
- Often regarded as one of the finest zoos in the nation, this one was opened up on 14thAugust
- The zoo lies a mere 85 km from the nearest Airport and can be easily accessible via different road vehicles.
- It houses 156 animals in the wildlife park and is home to exquisite mammals and animals like snow leopard, Tibetan Wolf, Siberian Tiger and more.
9) Delhi Zoo
- Also known as the Delhi National Zoological Park, this one lies near Old fort of Delhi.
- The zoological park opened up in 1959 and has and is spread around in 176 acres of vast landscape.
- It has more than1347 species of animal and 127 species of birds in the sanctuary.
- The sanctuary or the zoo is home to one of the rarest species of animals in the form of Brow-antlered deer. Other animals like white tiger, white buck, gibbon and more also call it a home to themselves.
8) Mysore zoo
- Officially named as Sri Chamarajendra Zoological Gardens, this one lies in Karnataka and has been in existence from 1892. However, the zoo opened up for general public only in 1902.
- The zoo is placed near the Mysore palace and is spread out over 157 acres of landscape.
- It has 1320 animals belonging to 168 different species.
- It is home to the maximum number of elephants in the nation along with Asiatic black bears, African elephants, Hyena.
7) Trivandrum Zoo
- Located in the temple city of Kerala, this one is also known as Thiruvananthapuram Zoo.
- The zoo features 55 acres of landscape and has been in existence since 1857 making it one of the oldest in the nation.
- It features 82 indigenous species of animals and birds.
- A few notable ones include Asiatic Lion, Royal Bengal tiger, Rhinoceros, Elephants along with African species of Cape Buffalos, Zebra, Hippos and more.
6) Hyderabad Zoo
- Widely known as the Nehru Zoological Park, this one is one of the largest wildlife sanctuaries in the nation.
- It opened up in the year 1963 and holds an area of 380 acres.
- The zoo has 1100 animals belonging to 100 different species habituating in the area.
- It is home to rare white-blacked vultures and numerous species of animals.
5) Nandankanan Zoo
- Nandankanan Zoo is a famed property of the forestry of Orissa and is spread around in 990 acres making it one of the largest of the lot.
- The wildlife zoo was established in 1960 but opened up to thegeneral public only in 1979.
- The zoo is the first one in the nation to join World Association of Zoos and Aquariums in 2009.
- It houses 1580 animals belonging to 120 different species.
- The zoo is famed for its exotic animal species like white tigers, gharial crocodiles, black panthers and more.
- It also houses a botanical garden within.
4) Chennai Zoo
- The Vandalur Zoo of Chennai as it is known by is the largest zoological garden in India.
- It has an area space spread around in 1490 acres out of which the zoo occupies 1300 acres.
- It has 1657 animals of 163 different species in the zoo.
- A special feature of the zoo is the lion-tailed Macaque which is found only in these lands.
3) Junagadh Zoo
- Also named as the Sakkarbaugh Zoo, this one is situated in the city of Junagadh in the state of Gujarat.
- The zoo has been in existence since 1863 and was opened up by Nawab of the region at the time.
- The zoo and botanical garden have helped preserve animal, bird and plant species all throughout.
- It has an area of 490 acres and houses 1223 animals in total with the numbers racking up as 525 mammals, 597 birds and 111 reptiles.
- A few delights of the zoo are lions, elephants, tigers and more.
2) Guwahati Zoo
- Known as the Assan Sate Zoo Cum Botanical Garden, this one lies in the heart of Guwahati, Assam.
- The zoo is part of the reserved forest of Assam and was founded in the year 1957.
- The zoo is spread around in a large area of 432 acres and is one of the largest zoos’s in North-East region.
- The zoo is located within the premises of Hengrabari Reserve Forest in Guwahati.
- It is home to 113 species of animals and birds from around the world and has around 895 of them in total.
- The sanctuary holds anabundance of Asiatic lion, the tigers, black bears, Giraffes, Puma, Liama and Kangaroos from Australia.
1) Nainital Zoo
- Nainital Zoo, only one of its kind in the whole Uttarakhand state of India lies atop in our list.
- The zoo is a high-altitude wildlife sanctuary and is spread around in 11 acres.
- The zoo is located at an altitude of 2100 meters above the sea level and is a popular tourist destination in India.
- The zoo is home to many exquisite animals like snow leopard, Siberian tiger, black bears, hill fox and more.
- The zoo was established in 1984 but opened up to public on June 1, 1995.
What’s the one that coveted you the most? Share with us down below in the comment box and let us know.