Arvind Panagariya is an Indian American economist. He is an economics professor at the University of Columbia. Arvind Panagariya is known as the Grammar-Nazi for many reasons. He has been recently appointed as the Vice-Chairman of the Niti (National Institution for Transforming India) Aayog that is set to replace the National Commission. Before the Niti Aayog kicks into gear, here are a few facts about Arvind Panagariya.
- Arvind Panagariya has worked at the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank, the United Nations Conference on Trade & Development and the World Trade Organization. He has worked in different capacities at these organizations. He is also a Ph.D. degree from the prestigious Princeton University. He has also been the Chief Economist at the famous Asian Development Bank.
- Arvind Panagariya was also a professor at the Columbia University. He used to teach Indian Political Economy. He has also been a professor for Economics and has been the co-director for the Center for International Economics at the University of Maryland located at the College Park.
- Arvind Panagariya is an ardent disciple of eminent economist Jagdih Bhagwati. Jagdish and Arvind have co-authored two books – The Economics of Preferential Trade Agreements published in 1996 & Lectures on International Trade published in 1998. Arvind has been involved in writing or editing 10 books in total. His book ‘India: The Emerging Giant’ that was published in 2008 was called the ‘definitive book on Indian Economy’ by Fareed Zakaria and his mentor Jagdish Bhagwati called the book ‘a tour de horizon and tour de force’.
- Arvind Panagariya was also a guest writer for The Wall Street Journal, the Outlook and the Financial Times. He has also made appearances on various national and international television shows that are watched by millions of people the world over. Arvind even has his own television show called “Transforming India With Arvind Panagriya”. It features on Bloomberg TV India.
- Arvind’s technical papers have also appeared in the Quarterly Journal of Economics, American Economic Review, the Journal of International Economics among others.
- Arvind is also known for editing the India Policy Forum. This is a journal that is modeled on the Brookings Papers on Economic Activity. This journal was jointly published by the National Council on Applied Economic Research in New Delhi and the Brookings Institution in Washington DC.
- Arvind has always been known to be a supporter of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Arvind has applauded Mr.Modi’s efforts as Gujarat CM in cutting poverty and developing the state.
- As part of the Niti Aayog, Arvind plans to dismantle the social security, public health and the education programs. This move shows that Arvind Panagariya has probably never met a pregnant woman in a rural area or a child who goes to Anganwadi just to eat or a girl child who studies in a primary rural school and enjoys a mid day meal. His heartlessness towards these policies does not provide too much hope for India’s rural population.